Monday, July 25, 2011

Carrot Gnocchi


      Gnocchi has always been one of my favorite dishes, the little bit of chewy and the versatility and variety of sauces made me excited to eat it. I used the Potato Gnocchi with Pesto recipe from the Williams-Sonoma web site.www.williams-sonoma.com Instead of using all the potatoes, I replace ¾ of the potatoes with carrots. I left some of the potatoes for the starch. The sauce that I use to top it with I just came up on the fly, it is just butter, sage, heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. I did not want to have a sauce that totally over powered the uniqueness of the gnocchi. The recipe is remarkably easy to follow. I can see this as a dessert recipe. I made this recipe savory. The carrot gnocchi has a delightfully smooth texture and the potato and the carrot play well off each other. Neither is dominating, and both makes an appearance leaving a feeling of wanting more and more. Which is fine of course, because are super nutritious.

I did the history of carrots the last time and I thought it would be fun to have some quirky facts about carrots. I got most of these facts from the Carrot Museum.www.carrotmuseum.co.uk
The voice of Bugs Bunny, Mel Blanc actually didn’t like carrots.
So how was the Carrot used as an aphrodisiac? Well, men in Teheran in the late nineteenth century stewed carrots with sugar to increase the quality and quantity of sperm.  
Carrot Vodka? Carrots produce more distilled spirits than potatoes.
Carrots as a conceptive? In India women eat carrots seeds to prevent getting pregnant.
The Calming effect of Carrots? Romans conquerors fed carrot broth to female captives to loosen them up.

These are just a few facts, there of course thousands more and I encourage you to look them up and have fun with the carrot! I use a lot of my recipes from Williams-Sonoma, here is the web site, www.williams-sonoma.com, Please be my guest and take a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment